Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Engine 2 Diet Cookbook by Rip Esselstyn
1 large sweet potato
1 cup brown rice, cooked
8 ounces vegetarian, no added oil, refried beans
1 cup of salsa
1 cup fresh spinach
8 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 jalapeño pepper, diced (optional and HOT)
6-8 Engine 2 Ancient Grain Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- An hour before you plan to eat, peel and quarter the sweet potatoes. Bake sweet potatoes in the oven for 45 minutes to one hour, until soft.
- In the meantime, prepare rice in a rice cooker or on stove top as directed.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and toss into a mixing bowl. Mash sweet potatoes with the salsa, rice, and fresh spinach. Place sweet potato mash in a sauce pan and mix in black beans and refried beans, heating mixture thoroughly over medium heat. Add onion powder, chili powder, and cumin to taste and stir.
- Place a tortilla in a frying pan on medium heat, and slather the side facing up with sweet potato and bean mixture. Add jalapeños if desired. Place another whole-wheat tortilla on top. Press down on top tortilla with spatula with pan on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Flip with spatula and cook for another three minutes.
- Voila! Cut into desired number of sections. Serve topped with salsa.