Candle Café Brown Rice and Lentil Burgers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn
3 ½ cups water
½ cup lentils, rinsed and drained
1 cup brown rice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 red bell peppers, seeded, deveined, and diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1½ cups of water to a boil. Add the lentils, reduce the heat, and cook until beans are softened, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the rice, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is just tender, about 40 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, sauté the garlic, onion, and peppers until lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine the lentils, rice, and vegetables. Add the salt and chili powder and mix well. Add a bit of flour to hold the mixture together, if needed. Form into burger-sized patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet or press into a loaf pan.
- Bake burgers until slightly firm, about 15 minutes, or bake the loaf for about 25 minutes.