Root Vegetable Mash
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Farm Fresh Rhode Island
295 calories, 7 g total fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 109 mg sodium, 59 g total carbohydrate, 3 g protein
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and cut turnips in half. Rub with olive oil and wrap in aluminum foil. Peel sweet potatoes and rub with olive oil and cover with aluminum foil. Put both into the oven until easily pierced with a fork (about 45 minutes).
- Wash and peel carrots. Dice and lightly toss with cinnamon and olive oil. Peel and dice butternut squash (discard pulp and seeds) and lightly toss with olive oil and maple syrup. Put both into the oven uncovered and cook until both are easily pierced with a fork (about 30 minutes).
- Wash leeks thoroughly and cut off the green stems of the leeks. Finely chop light green to white part of the leek. Sauté with 1 tsp. vegetable oil for about 8 minutes.
- In another sauté pan, add cranberries, 2 tsp. vegetable oil, and ½ cup of sugar. Let it simmer until the cranberries break down and appear as chunky cranberry sauce.
- Finely chop parsley and set aside.
- In a food processor, add all root vegetables and sautéed leeks and blend until smooth (add 1 Tbsp. of maple syrup and olive oil to begin blending process).
- Just before serving, mix in parsley and cranberries.
- Serve warm as a side on top of lettuce for a holiday treat!