Chickpea Garden Burgers
- 1 15.5 oz. can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, no salt added, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup low-sodium bread crumbs
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds or nuts, no salt added, finely chopped
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 4 whole-wheat, low-sodium burger buns
- Coarsely mash garbanzo beans with a fork or masher.
- Add remaining ingredients, except oil and buns, and mix thoroughly. Form into four patties.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet and cook over medium heat until brown. Flip over and brown other side.
- Serve on a lightly toasted bun with your favorite burger toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, pickle, and avocado.
292 calories, 13.3 g total fat (1.3 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 596 mg sodium, 36.9 total carbohydrate, 10.3 g protein